Let’s assume that you already have an application deployed on Cloud Fabric and you are looking for a way to switch over to a new version.
So, how do you deploy a new version of a customer-facing application with minimal user experience issues and downtime?
The following simple steps will show you to how to best achieve that utilizing the application routes functionality.
- Your old version is running.
- This should be your starting state.
- Your application is routed to your customer-facing URL.
- Push your update to a different route
- Use the same org and space as your original application.
- Your upgraded version will now be accessible on a separate URL.
- The upgrade does not have to be customer-facing just yet.
- Route the update to the original URL
- How: Using to the Web Console, navigate to the Routes menu on your Update’s application page. Add a route to the original URL of your app.
- Traffic to the App’s URL will now be load balanced between your old and updated versions.
- Remove route to the old version
- How: Using to the Web Console, navigate to the Routes menu on your Original Version’s application page. Unmap the route to your live customer-facing URL.
- Your old version is now effectively idle as it is not mapped to any route.
- You can revert back to the old version by just routing it to any desired URL.
- Drop the updated/additional URL
- How: Using to the Web Console, navigate to the Routes menu on your Update’s application page. Unmap the additional route that was created at step 2.
Your updated version is now available on your original URL.
The update is complete.